Fall 2011- Spring 2012 Roundtables
Improving our own capacities to carry out high quality sustainability research
Roundtable 1 – Big Concepts in Sustainability Research
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 – NRESS Seminar – 3:10-4:30 PM: James Hall G46.
Dr. Jennifer Kushner, University of Wisconsin, speaking on "Paradigm Shifts: What is interdisciplinary research?" Dr. Kushner is an expert in education innovation and reform, with a focus on paradigm change in educational systems. She is a Program and Evaluation Specialist at the University of Wisconsin-Extension, where she works locally, nationally and internationally with programs related to agriculture, the environment, and youth, family & community development. She had led several interdisciplinary reform initiatives including the NSF-sponsored EPICS program, the founding of the School of Integrative Studies at Edgewood College, and is currently leading a national youth water education reform initiative. Her current research focuses on knowledge construction, evolution of thinking, interdisciplinary research, and on leadership and learning related to environmental and social change. Her past work has focused on program innovation and evaluation in science, engineering, medicine, and the humanities.
- Dr. Jennifer Jushner PowerPoint presentation
- Clark, W.C., & Dickson, N. M. (2003.) "Sustainability science: The emerging research program." Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 100(14): 8059-8061.
- Clark, W.C. (2007.) "Sustainability Science: A room of its own." Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 104: 1737-1738; published online on February 6, 2007, 10.1073/pnas.0611291104.
Roundtable 2 - How Can Research More Effectively Support a Sustainable Society?
Thursday, October 13, 2011 – Brown Bag Lunch – 12:40-2:30 PM: Gregg Hall 320
Roundtable 3 – A Look at the Mechanics of “Other” Disciplinary Research
Thursday, October 27, 2011 – Brown Bag Lunch – 12:40-2:30 PM: Gregg Hall 320
Featuring faculty demystifying social science approaches for natural scientists and natural science approaches for social scientists. Learn the language, methods, similarities, differences, benefits and limitations from case studies.
- Dr. Cameron Wake PowerPoint presentation "Assessing the Risk of 100-year Freshwater Floods in the Lamprey River Watershed of New Hampshire Resulting from Changes in Climate and Land Use."
- Glass and McAtee. (2006). "Behavioral science at the crossroads in public health: Extending horizons, envisioning the future." Social Science & Medicine 62: 1650–1671.
- Green, L.W.. (March 2006.) "Public Health Asks of Systems Science: To Advance Our Evidence-Based Practice, Can You Help Us Get More Practice-Based Evidence?" American Journal of Public Health (96, 3): 406-409.
- Huang TT, Drewnowski A, Kumanyika SK, Glass TA. (2009). "A systems-oriented multilevel framework for addressing obesity in the 21st century." Prev Chronic Dis 6(3):A82. http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2009/jul/09_0013.htm. Accessed 4/2/12.
- Boelee, E. Small Reservoirs Toolkit: Participatory Health Impact Assessment. International Water Management Institute, Ethiopia and International Development Research Centre, Egypt / International Water Management Institute, Ghana.
- B. L. Turner II, Roger E. Kasperson, Pamela A. Matsone, James J. McCarthy, Robert W. Corell, Lindsey Christensen, Noelle Eckley, Jeanne X. Kasperson, Amy Luerse, Marybeth L. Martellog, Colin Polsky, Alexander Pulsipher, and Andrew Schiller. (July 8, 2003). "A framework for vulnerability analysis in sustainability science." Communicated by Susan Hanson, Clark University, Worcester, MA, March 7, 2003 (received for review February 25, 2003). Proceedings of the National Academies of Science 100(14): 8074–8079, www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1231335100.
- Stokols, D., Hall, K., Taylor, B., Moser, R. (2008). "The Science of Team Science: Overview of the Field and Introduction to the Supplement." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35 (2S): S77-S89.
Roundtable 4 – Building Skill and Capacity to Carry Out Sustainability Research
Thursday, December 1, 2011 –12:40-2:30 PM: Gregg Hall 320
Featuring YOU in conversation with staff and faculty from other disciplines in pursuit of compatible ideas. Bring your sense of adventure!
Round Table 5: Discussion on adaptive management
Featuring 2011-2012 SRC Faculty Fellow Allison Watts
Round Table 6: Discussion on food systems research
Featuring 2011-2012 SRC Faculty Fellow Semra Aytur
- About Us
- Faculty Scholars
- Task forces
- Ecosystem Task Force
- Energy Task Force
- Sustainable Food System Task Force
- Culture and Sustainability Task Force
- Task Force Ambassadors
- UNH sustainability awards
- Defining Sustainability
- Our Work
- Academic Programs and Courses
- Culture & Sustainability Discussion Group
- Dual Major in Sustainability
- Ecology and Ethnicity: Sustainability Studies' Contribution to Place 2013 Summer Seminar
- Liberal Arts & Sustainability Faculty Grants
- Responsible Governance and Sustainable Citizenship Project (RGSCP)
- Study Abroad
- Sustainability Teaching Resources
- Sustainable Student Life
- Campus Carbon Calculator
- Commissions on GLBT, Women, People of Color, and People With Disabilities
- Dining & food
- Ecoline & cogeneration
- Energy Efficiency Fund
- Energy saving tips
- Energy use in UNH buildings
- Environmental health & safety
- Green computing
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Healthy UNH
- Inclusive excellence
- Move Out Recycling & Donations
- Printing & paper
- Virtual energy efficient dorm room
- Waste, recycling & composting
- Water conservation & quality
- WildCAP, UNH's Climate Action Plan
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Course and Research Survey
- Sustainability Research Collaboratory
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Research Inventory
- UNH Programs, Centers and Institutes Related to Sustainability
- UNH Research Office
- Campus Carbon Calculator
- Climate Counts
- Climate Fellows Program
- Climate Solutions New England (CSNE)
- Food Solutions New England (FSNE)
- Inter-campus collaboration
- NH Farm to School
- Post Landfill Action Network (PLAN)
- Professional Certificate in Corporate Sustainability
- Sustainability Learning Collaboratives
- Data collection and reporting
- News & Events
- Get involved!
- Calendar of events
- Sustainable Faculty and Staff
- Sustainable Student Life
- Current and past newsletters
- E-News Signup
- Images and photos
- Interactive map of UNH sustainability
- Publications and reports
- Social media
- Videos and podcasts