Dr. Tom Kelly - Profile in Sustainability
How did UNH first become committed to being a sustainable learning community?
Sustainability at UNH began with the grassroots leadership of faculty, students, and staff, which lead to the establishment of the Sustainability Academy (formerly the Office of Sustainability Program and the University Office of Sustainability) as an endowed, university-wide program in 1997. UNH has always recognized its unique responsibility to the state and region. Its commitment to sustainability extends this vision to future generations and to national and international issues as the university undertakes the purposeful reform of its cultural and ecological relationships with the broader world in a manner consistent with sustaining the foundations of human development.
After 10 years of success, what do you envision for the next 10 years at UNH?
We will build on our past decade of collaborative work in order to address the unprecedented challenge of sustainability with innovative curriculum, campus operations, research, and engagement that empowers all graduates to advance sustainability in their civic and professional lives.
What motivates you personally to be involved in sustainability?
My motivation is rooted in a sense of responsibility and obligation to community in all senses of the word, including future generations. Freedom and responsibility are inseparable.
- About Us
- Faculty Fellows
- Task forces
- Ecosystem Task Force
- Energy Task Force
- Sustainable Food System Task Force
- Culture and Sustainability Task Force
- UNH sustainability awards
- Defining Sustainability
- Our Work
- Academic Programs and Courses
- Culture & Sustainability Discussion Group
- Dual Major in Sustainability
- Ecology and Ethnicity: Sustainability Studies' Contribution to Place 2013 Summer Seminar
- Liberal Arts & Sustainability Faculty Grants
- Student Events
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad
- Sustainability Teaching Resources
- Commissions on GLBT, Women, People of Color, and People With Disabilities
- Dining & food
- Ecoline & cogeneration
- Energy Efficiency Fund
- Energy saving tips
- Energy use in UNH buildings
- Environmental health & safety
- Green computing
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Healthy UNH
- Inclusive excellence
- Moveout recycling & donations
- Printing & paper
- Sustainability Stewards
- Virtual energy efficient dorm room
- Waste, recycling & composting
- Water conservation & quality
- WildCAP, UNH's Climate Action Plan
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Course and Research Survey
- Sustainability Research Collaboratory
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Research Inventory
- UNH Programs, Centers and Institutes Related to Sustainability
- UNH Research Office
- Data collection and reporting
- News & Events
- Get involved!