Jessica Fish - Profile in Sustainability
How does race and ethnic studies intersect with sustainability?
Our classes and minors are a great example of cultural sustainability in action. Our students through the lenses of restorative and social justice think critically about power structures which impact access to resources (intellectual, cultural, environmental) and their distribution.
What do you do as coordinator of the UNH Race and Ethnic Studies Minors?
I advocate for and promote the Africana and African American Studies, Race, Culture, and Power, and American Studies minors on campus. I advise our students, support our faculty, and work to create community around the programs.
What motivates you personally to be involved in sustainability?
I came to the concept of sustainability through food via my best friend who is an organic farmer. Through her I've gotten my hands dirty and become personally committed to environmental stewardship, thanks Joanne! I believe in organic farming and gardening as a way to bring communities together, to empower individuals, and as a pathway to lifelong health.
- About Us
- Faculty Fellows
- Task forces
- Ecosystem Task Force
- Energy Task Force
- Sustainable Food System Task Force
- Culture and Sustainability Task Force
- UNH sustainability awards
- Defining Sustainability
- Our Work
- Academic Programs and Courses
- Culture & Sustainability Discussion Group
- Dual Major in Sustainability
- Ecology and Ethnicity: Sustainability Studies' Contribution to Place 2013 Summer Seminar
- Liberal Arts & Sustainability Faculty Grants
- Student Events
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad
- Sustainability Teaching Resources
- Commissions on GLBT, Women, People of Color, and People With Disabilities
- Dining & food
- Ecoline & cogeneration
- Energy Efficiency Fund
- Energy saving tips
- Energy use in UNH buildings
- Environmental health & safety
- Green computing
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Healthy UNH
- Inclusive excellence
- Moveout recycling & donations
- Printing & paper
- Sustainability Stewards
- Virtual energy efficient dorm room
- Waste, recycling & composting
- Water conservation & quality
- WildCAP, UNH's Climate Action Plan
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Course and Research Survey
- Sustainability Research Collaboratory
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Research Inventory
- UNH Programs, Centers and Institutes Related to Sustainability
- UNH Research Office
- Data collection and reporting
- News & Events
- Get involved!