UNH Unplugged Annual Energy Challenge
2014 UNH Unplugged competition dates: April 1-April 27th
Download a PDF of the poster!
IS YOUR HALL PARTICIPATING? Each dorm should have an Environmental Advocate on its hall council; this person will be in charge of educating and promoting the challenge in their building. Ask your RA or RD who if you have an EA. If you do not have one in your building, then your building is not participating in the challenge!
History of the Energy Challenge
Begun in 2006 by then UNH student Chris Skoglund ('12G, now at the NH Department of Environmental Services), the competition first began between on-campus residence halls and apartments.
In one year, UNH dorms alone emit almost 19,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, the equivalent of nearly 30,000 barrels of oil. Help us reduce our environmental impact by unplugging your appliances and hitting the switch!
While it's a competition between the dorms, the energy use is measured and compared to the buildings usage for the same time frame the previous year. We will look at the usage for April 1-27 in 2013, and compare it to the those dates in 2014, that's where the percentage saved number will come from.
Starting April 1st, the Sustainability Institute at UNH are working with the Environmental Advocates in the residence halls to put on UNH Unplugged, the annual energy challenge. Help your dorm compete with the rest of campus to save the most energy. Win cool prizes and reduce campus energy consumption!
Unplug, compete, and save!
More about the Challenge
Tool Kits and Promotional and Bullentin Board Ideas
- Download an Energy Challenge Poster - Updated version coming soon.
- Building Energy Use Posters–download a poster showing your hall's energy use & carbon footprint from the past year.
- UNH Energy and Utilities Meter - Get data on building energy use across campus!!
- Downloadable Tip Sheet
- Test Your Energy IQ with the Energy Star Quiz
Energy Saving Tips
- Sustainability Tips for Students from the UNH Sustainability Institute.
- Seven Steps to a Greener Dorm Room
- Energy Saving Tips from the UNH Energy & Utilities Office.
- More ideas from the New England Carbon Challenge! (Hint: these are especially useful for on-campus apartments!)
Learn More About Your Energy Impact
- A Big Sum of Small Differences: Individual Americans Cause -- and Could Cure -- Most of U.S. Emissions Problem, Wall Street Journal, October 2, 2008.
- Phantom Load: Save Some Cash, Get Unplugged, U.S. News & World Report, October 1, 2009.
- About Us
- Faculty Scholars
- Task forces
- Ecosystem Task Force
- Energy Task Force
- Sustainable Food System Task Force
- Culture and Sustainability Task Force
- Task Force Ambassadors
- UNH sustainability awards
- Defining Sustainability
- Our Work
- Academic Programs and Courses
- Dual Major in Sustainability
- Liberal Arts & Sustainability Faculty Grants
- Responsible Governance and Sustainable Citizenship Project (RGSCP)
- Study Abroad
- Sustainability Teaching Resources
- Sustainable Student Life
- Commissions on GLBT, Women, People of Color, and People With Disabilities
- Dining & food
- Ecoline & cogeneration
- Energy Efficiency Fund
- Energy saving tips
- Energy use in UNH buildings
- Environmental health & safety
- Green computing
- Greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Healthy UNH
- Inclusive excellence
- Move Out Recycling & Donations
- Printing & paper
- Virtual energy efficient dorm room
- Waste, recycling & composting
- Water conservation & quality
- WildCAP, UNH's Climate Action Plan
- Campus Carbon Calculator/CarbonMAP
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Course and Research Survey
- Sustainability Research Collaboratory
- UNH Faculty Sustainability Research Inventory
- UNH Programs, Centers and Institutes Related to Sustainability
- UNH Research Office
- Climate Counts
- Climate Fellows Program
- Climate Solutions New England (CSNE)
- Food Solutions New England (FSNE)
- Inter-campus collaboration
- NH Farm to School
- Post Landfill Action Network (PLAN)
- Professional Certificate in Corporate Sustainability
- Sustainability Learning Collaboratives
- Data collection and reporting
- News & Events
- Get involved!
- Calendar of events
- Sustainable Faculty and Staff
- Sustainable Student Life
- Current and past newsletters
- E-News Signup
- Images and photos
- Publications and reports
- Social media
- Videos and podcasts